Wednesday, June 24, 2009

6 weeks no medication

Well Monday I hit the 6 week mark. On my home scales I have lost 4 kgs since starting this new eating and exercise plan. I didn't tell my Endo, my GP or the clinic I'm attending that I stopped my Neo-mercazale. I haven't taken anything now for six weeks - before starting I was supposed to take 1 x 5mg for 4 days and week and 2 x 5mg for the other 3 days. So considering the doses I have been on and off and back on again (such as 13 x 5mgs per day plus 2 Inderal) in the past 12months this dose was relatively small so I can't deny that the medication has reduced my Grave's symptons - this was not the issue - the issue with me was the symptoms that the medication had caused such as weight gain - 10kgs, the fact that I repeatedly went between Hypo and Hyper and while Hypo became very depressed, hair loss and generally feeling unwell and horrible about myself. This was the driving force behind searching for somthing alternative to the medication - which hopefully will solve my issues and will be a long term solution. Well this week I feel very confident that this is happening. The diet or should I say eating program which I have adhered to strictly has caused by T3 T4 and TSH levels all to improve over the past 6 weeks. The most important to me (because of research I have done) was to get the TSH down (apparently between 1-2 is optimal anything higher weight loss is hard or even impossible in some cases) - it has gone down to 1.1 when tested 3days ago. I am finally in a range where I am capable of losing weight - which is probably why it has started to happen. I have one Grave's symptom at the moment and that is increased heart rate but so far only while exercising - origianlly I experienced this constantly usually with a heart rate up around 110 - I feel very confident now in this program and would recommend it. I just now have to continue the same path and hopefully this symptom will also subside. I think maybe I haven't lost as much hair lately either and there is definately new growth. My eyes are good but as I have mentioned before they have never been badly affected - I have only suffered watery, sore and itchy eyes and a ache in the back of my left eye for about a year so I don't like to complain about this as I know others suffer a lot more than me. I hope the watering etc has been cured by the diet and supplements as It may give hope to others. My Opthamologist says that these symptoms appear to be first stages of Grave's eye disease so I am trying my best to reduce the possiblity of new symptoms. I don't think it is just the food I am putting into my body from what the clinic say it seems to be very impotant that I get certain levels of such things as iron and iodine and calcium up or down to the level they need to be. They tested me for everything under the sun when I came to the clinic - they even think that Vitamin D which is produced by the body after sun exposure is really important and is actually a hormone - this I am also deficient in - these days we all try to keep out of the sun. I am starting to get a lot more interested in not only the food but the vitamins my body is deficient in - my sister seems to suffer the same deficiencies and she is undergoing tests for celiac disease and there has been mention of lupus when doctors discuss her symptoms - there seems to be evidence that the deficiences are causing autoimmune diseases in susceptible people and what are the other contributing factors. I keep getting fed little pieces of information from my clinic and I feel like it is becoming a lot clearer as I go along. The program lasts for 16 weeks so in 10 weeks I'm hoping to be totally in remission, my symptoms subsided and the weight I gained gone! Is this too much to ask? Maybe I needed to get this disease to be shown a healthier way to live - maybe it's meant to happen this way - maybe it could have been a disease much worse - so if I can learn to live healthier now I might dodge some other nasty illness I was heading for. My mother lived a very unhealthy and unhappy life and died at 59 - this is not the future I want.......so I will continue on. PS on a much happier note I intend to have a drink on the 8th August (Cocktail party to go to) and let my hair down I think I deserve it I have been really strict!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment